Black fungus or mucormycosis infection is a common side effect of Covid 19. Patients who were given high steroid doses for their Covid treatment experienced the development of black fungus. The black fungus can prove to be fatal, and hence it requires immediate treatment. However, due to added pressure on medical infrastructure, you can learn the early signs of black fungus infection and its cure to prevent its spread.
The Black Fungus Symptoms List Include:
- Nasal blockage
You may experience nose congestion or blackish discharge from your nose. Moreover, you may feel pain around your cheekbones due to mucus build-up. If you have any or both of these, it could be black fungal infection symptoms that you are experiencing.
- Pain in your face
If you have facial soreness or pain in your cheekbones, it could be the initial symptoms of black fungus infection. In addition, you may get swelling in your face.
- Black discolouration
In some cases, the fungal infection appears as a blackish pigment over the nose bridge or inside the mouth palate.
- Tooth pain
Severe tooth and jaw pain, along with loosening of teeth, can be a symptom of black fungus. If you get an uncontrollable toothache, you can contact a hospital near you to avoid complications.
- Pulmonary issues
Pulmonary issues are early signs of black fungal infection. You may get exposed to respiratory issues after inhaling the fungal spores. You may experience chest pain, bloody coughs, and fluid accumulation in the lungs. The black fungus can severely impact your lungs; therefore, you must visit a nearby hospital to get treatment at the correct time.
- General symptoms
Some patients with the symptoms of black fungal infection may get blurry vision, high fever, blood clots, and skin lesions.
You must be watchful of the symptoms to protect yourself from this deadly fungal infection.
Do ‘s And Don’ts To Prevent Black Fungus Or Mucormycosis.
- Take steroids cautiously. Steroid overuse during Covid treatment is the prominent cause that can get you infected with the black fungus.
- Keep a check on your blood glucose levels. If you have diabetes, you must take extra precautions and check your glucose level regularly.
- Control hyperglycemia. It refers to the presence of high sugar levels in your blood. Hyperglycemia occurs due to insulin absence in your body.
- Use clean and fresh water during oxygen therapy. Always sterilise your humidifier and fill it with clean water.
- Do not ignore the black mucus fungal infection symptoms. Do not take the symptoms lightly and start immediate care.
- Do not take over-the-counter drugs as they may make the situation worse. Consult a doctor to find the prescribed medicines for the fungus
- Do not question the treatment process. You may take time to recover completely from the disease. The recovery also depends on how early you started your medication.
- Do not confuse typical cold and cough with the symptoms of black fungus. Do not panic and get confused. If a blackish discharge from the nose follows cough and cold, contact a nearby hospital immediately.
- Do not take an overdose of antifungals or antibiotics. Medicine overdose may impact your health adversely. It is recommended to take the medicines as directed by your doctor.
You may need to undergo aggressive treatment approaches like KOH staining and microscopy.
What Is The Diagnostic Procedure For All The Symptoms Of Black Fungus?
The commonly followed methods to diagnose black fungus are:
- Clinical diagnosis
Your doctor will look for symptoms like headache, black scab in the nasal and oral cavity, swelling and redness in the eyes, vision loss, and facial numbness. The presence of these black fungal infection symptoms manoeuvres the further treatment process. Clinical diagnosis looks for the signs of the black fungus through physical examination.
- Imaging techniques
Your doctor may ask you to take a CT scan of the lungs and brain to diagnose pulmonary diseases. The scan presents a clear picture of your brain and other body parts. Then, the image is studied in detail to chalk out the treatment plans.
- Histopathological and microbiological examination
The doctor takes your skin tissues and examines them under a microscope. It is the most common method to diagnose black fungus infection. These tests identify the presence of hidden bacteria and fungus in your tissues.
- Molecular assays
Molecular assays like RFLP (Restriction Fragment Length Polymorphism analyses), PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction), and meta curve analysis of PCR products help diagnose the black fungus infection symptoms.
The examinations mentioned above and tests are the most used methods to study the black fungus infection symptoms.
What Are The Treatment Options After The Black Fungal Disease Symptoms Are Diagnosed?
The treatment of black fungus requires a comprehensive approach. While treating the symptoms of black fungus infection, it is crucial to manage the predisposing factors, treat necrotic tissues and then start antifungal treatment. However, the disease can be managed through the following methods:
- Antifungal medications
Your doctor may prescribe you to take a combination of antifungal medications. These medicines stop the growth and further spread of the fungus. However, the black fungus may infect your lungs if left untreated. If you are in the early stages of this infection and have minor symptoms of a black fungus disease, taking antifungal medications can give you quick relief.
- Surgical debridement
If you undergo treatment under an infection specialist, they may suggest you opt for surgical debridement. They believe it is the best way to save your life as it stops the disease from spreading to other body parts. However, you may need to undergo plastic surgery after taking surgical debridement.
The treatment process of black fungus is time taking and requires a hospital stay. Therefore, if you have black fungus disease symptoms, you must ensure that you are well prepared for the treatment as you may take time to respond to the medicines. Moreover, the symptoms of the black fungal disease are accompanied by comorbidities like vision loss, focal deficits, and deaths in some cases. Therefore, it is essential to treat the black fungus patient symptoms in the early stages to prevent the spread of this fatal disease.
For free teleconsultation with our doctor, call us at 88569-88569 or fill the form to share your problem.