A joint in the body is where two or more bones meet. Damages caused to the joints by injury or serious illness interfere with the mobility of the joints and can cause a lot of pain. Joint pains are a common complaint among the ageing people as well the young adults. Symptoms and Causes of joint pains vary from one patient to another depending on the underlying condition.
Common symptoms of joint pains include intense pain, reduced mobility, redness, swelling or stiffness of the joint or a visible deformity of the joint. Apart from these, along with joint pains, one may experience very high fever without flu-like symptoms, muscle pains or fatigue.
The culprits behind joint pains depend partially on age. Joint pain can be due to fairly mild conditions, such as an overuse injury or sprain or due to traumatic injuries like dislocations, infections in the body like septic arthritis, autoimmune diseases like sjogren’s syndrome, chronic degenerative conditions like arthritis or malignancy like cancer. Apart from these, ageing, posture problems and inactivity can also be possible causes of joint pain.
Joint pains can be diagnosed easily with physical examination or Xrays and Blood tests. Most joint pains can be resolved easily without treatments or with over-the-counter medicines. Home Remedies can also prove useful in case of joint pains.
Also Read: JOINT PAINS: SYMPTOMS, CAUSES & TREATMENTS
Ways to reduce joint pain
- Protection. Rest. Ice. Compression. Elevation. (PRICE)
Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation may help relieve mild joint pains that result from minor injuries.
PROTECTION: This refers to protecting the joint from further damage or injury or the activity that caused the pain.
REST: This gives the joint time to heal.
ICE: Ice helps reduce the swelling and inflammation. Ice wrapped in cloth should be applied for 15-20 minutes, several times a day, in case of injury.
COMPRESSION: Compression with support helps to increase comfort level. The support or bandage must be firm and not tight.
ELEVATION: This helps increase circulation and reduce swelling.
- Weight Management
Weight has a major role to play in joint pains. Extra weight means extra pressure on the joints, especially the hips and knees. A healthy weight can be maintained by following a balanced diet and regular physical activity.
- Physical Activity
Exercise can help in managing body weight, keeping the joints flexible, and strengthening the muscles around joints. Exercise also helps in delaying the development of Osteoarthritis which is a common cause of joint pains. Low-Impact exercises prove useful in relieving joint pains. Walking, cycling, Swimming, Water Aerobics can be done to reduce the pains. The Indian practice of Yoga involving deep breathing techniques, postures and meditation helps in reducing the joint pains. The Chinese practice called Tai-Chi which combines gentle flowing with meditation and breathing has proven to improve motion and function along with reducing joint pains. Along with regular physical activity, maintaining the right posture is also important to minimize joint pains.
Our diet has a major role to play in all types of health conditions. There are food options that help reduce and relieve joint pains while some other foods like sugar and refined grains that must be avoided by patients suffering joint pains. Foods that help patients with joint pains and their sources include:
1. Omega-3 Fatty Acids/ Fish Oils which can be sourced from cold water fish
2. Nuts and seeds such as walnuts, almonds, flax seeds, chia seeds or pine nuts are a great source of Omega-3 for vegetarians and Vegans and also help reduce inflammation.
3. Leafy green vegetables like mustard greens, kale and purple cabbage are known to block enzymes that cause swelling in joints
4. Fruits like apple, pineapple, blueberries, tomatoes contain antioxidants that help.
5. Instead of cooking your food in vegetable oil, sunflower oil or peanut oil, use olive oil.
6. Lentils and beans like black beans, chickpeas and soybeans.
7. Garlic, ginger, onions and turmeric are known to possess anti-inflammatory properties too.
8. High fiber whole grains produce fatty acids to counteract inflammation.
9. Dark Chocolate
10. Green Tea
- Herbal Supplements
2. Eucalyptus Oil
4. Ginger and Garlic
1. Hot and Cold Therapy: Long, warm baths or showers help reduce stiffness and ice packs help reduce swelling.
2. Acupuncture: Traditional Chinese treatment that involves inserting thin needles into specific points in the body.
3. Massage: massaging the body can provide an overall sense of relief.
For mild to moderate pains with swelling or stiffness over-the-counter or prescription nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs can be consumed depending on any other health conditions of the patient.
Home Remedies, balanced diet and regular physical activity can help reduce and relieve joint pains. In case of no relief or prolonged pains, an ortho-doctor may suggest joint repair, joint replacement or joint fusion. These are medical processes that help permanently solve joint problems.
For Affordable Joint Replacement Treatment
Resolve the joint related problems of yourselves and your loved ones, visit your nearest Ujala Cygnus Hospital. We are located at Kaithal, Karnal, Kurukshetra, Panipat, Rewari and Sonipat. Call us or Whatsapp at 6398377083.